It was the day after Thanksgiving. What happens the day after Thanksgiving? Black Friday. The one day out of the year when everyone gets to be a child again and race other “children” in the stores, fight over ridiculously-low priced high-tech items, have shopping-cart wars, and seek the thrill of the bargain-priced items that are always in a “limited” quantities.
Where was I on Black Friday this last year? Oh, I was chasing and racing other “children” alright. In Krogers. Okay, so maybe I wasn’t chasing and racing. And maybe I was one of the few people actually in the store that day, but hey, a girl has an imagination alright? This girl was on a mission: buy as many turkeys as I could get my paws on. My stand-up freezer was practically begging to be stocked full. Again.
While others were gushing to tell others about their steal of a deal on Black Friday, I was gushing to my husband on the phone in Krogers…about turkeys. “They’re $10 a pop! I’m gonna fill the whole cart with TURKEYS!”
So, I make it home with five huge turkeys and they barely fit. But they made it. The hubs, at the perfect moment, then asks me, “So, uh, whatcha gonna do with all that meat anyway?”
Zesty Turkey Mole Tacos to the rescue! The meat mix to this taco is freezer-friendly, and very easy to prepare. You even cook it in a crockpot! How easy is that!
The orange zest on top is an absolute MUST. It adds the perfect zing to these tacos (believe me, I’ve had them before without the zest and it was truly zing-less).
- 3 cups cooked turkey meat, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced finely
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced finely
- 1 white onion, diced finely
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 2 large oranges
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sriracha sauce
- Corn/Flour Tortillas
- In slow-cooker, add all ingredients except for orange zest and turkey meat. Stir well to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. Add turkey meat and cook an additional 2 hours.
- Taste test! If mixture is too thick for your liking, add a little bit of water.
- To serve, spoon mixture onto tortilla and top with orange zest.
- In a large freezer zip-lock bag, add all ingredients except orange zest, turkey meat, and tortillas. Stir well. Place on flat surface in freezer for up to 2 months.
- In smaller freezer baggies, add turkey meat into one bag and orange zest into another. Freeze.
- Thaw all three bags in refrigerator overnight.
- Continue with regular instructions.