It’s the little things in life that remind us that summer is right around the corner.
Flowers blossoming, children outside playing, the gorgeous weather…who wants to sit inside and eat anyway?
It’s time to grab yourself a flat-bread sandwich and take lunch outside!
Between the sweet crunch of the fresh spinach leaves, the intense flavor of the sun-dried tomatoes, and extremely juicy marinated chicken in this sandwich, it’s pretty hard to beat.
Be sure to make a BIG batch of chicken for this recipe (along with a big batch of the ranch dressing) because this is gonna go quick! In our house, everyone loved it. Parent and toddler approved, and that’s a big win-win!
Actually, my toddler gobbled this up so quickly that I had to pick out the chicken from my sandwich to give it to him.
Next time we have this, we will be adding some fresh basil from the garden. Yum!
We are looking forward to sitting outside in our backyard and have many, many picnics. What’s your favorite food item that’s a must-have for a picnic? I’d love to know!
Enjoy the day, enjoy the sun, and enjoy each other! Happy Thursday, everyone!
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped finely
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Flatbread of choice
- 1 cup of homemade ranch dressing
- Zest and juice of two lemons
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. tabasco sauce, or hot sauce of choice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tbsp. dried dill weed
- 1 tbsp. dried minced onion
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped chives
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- In large mixing bowl, first mix all the wet ingredients to the ranch dressing with a whisk. Then add the rest of the ingredients for the ranch dressing, whisk well to combine.
- Taste test the dressing, add more seasonings if necessary.
- In large zip-lock bag, add 1 cup of prepared ranch dressing, zest and juice of lemons, chicken bites, Worcestershire sauce, and tabasco sauce. Close bag and shake to mix.
- Place bag in refrigerator to marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Take a fine mesh sieve and drain the marinaded chicken, discarding the marinade. Lay chicken out on paper towel to dry for 15 minutes. Pat dry.
- To cook the chicken, take a large heavy-bottomed skillet or cast-iron skillet and heat to medium-high with a little bit of cooking oil.
- Once oil is shimmering, add chicken in batches, cooking in a single-layer and be careful not to crowd the pan. Cook chicken while stirring for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through. Repeat until all chicken has been cooked.
- To serve, take flatbread and first layer spinach, then chicken bites, a sprinkle of the sun-dried tomatoes and top with a drizzle of ranch dressing. Enjoy!